Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Pins: How Does He Do It?

RGB
Here's my set up for making a large 16-panel pin picture. In the paper plate are 56 red pins, 92 green pins, and 48 blue pins. The white panel is a piece of foam board tacked to the outside wall of my back porch. (Click on pictures for larger view.)

I stick them all in a new piece of foam board. You can seen my pencil guidelines, which are cropped out in the final project.

This N0. 16, and you see the cumulative holes in the background.

And here are the holes (all 3,136 of them) by themselves. The project took me two days to stick in the pins photograph the panels and two days to prepare the files and print them.
The final product is a 16 panel rectangle of an overall wallpaper-like pattern, with more holes accumulating in the background with each progression. But, remember, it all happens in a single rectangle, over and over again. Note: the above green is R56/G92/B48!


What Was He Thinking?

• Of Sol Lewitt's wall drawings
Carl Andre's floor pieces (rgb is meant to be displayed on the floor)
William Hartnett and other American trompe l'oiel painters
Scale
• Pins, in these pictures, can be thought of as pixels
• Each panel uses pins in this mix: (R56/G92/B48). This makes a dark green (the color of the green grid). What I've arrived at is the color of a landscape!
• With holes accumulating in the background (while the foreground retains the same number of pins in each panel), I thought this was an interesting way to look at time. (Also see my Color People II project, which kind of does with people what I've done here with pins.)

No comments: